Sunday 21 June 2009

Social Network Success: From Cyberspace to Real Results

I know many professionals puzzled by the advent of social media want to know if it can yield real results, it can and it does. Right now I have the honor and privilege of a first class trip to China in April to kick off the Guangzhou Design Week that comes up later this year. They are doing a ten page feature spread in a Chinese Design publication with my work and background. This came about because I am in tune, in touch, turned on, and connected! The quote from the USA coordinator was “you are prolific and all over the web, everywhere I look, I see you.”

I’ve had a couple of other opportunities arise that, while I can’t share details, I can say that they are through those I’ve met in the networks and I would not have found them or they me any other way. Did I expect to do business this quickly online? Not really, I understand that social media is about building relationships and that takes time. Are you willing to INVEST the time in relationships that will provide a solid, measureable RETURN?

When you climb on the social networks, Twitter, Facebook, Linked In, Ecademy, Plurk, Squidoo, Digg, YouTube and others you want to have a plan. What do you want to accomplish? Are you looking for talented resources and service providers to grow your business? Who is your perfect prospect and where are they hanging out? Do you want to make connections that will lead to publication and features about you and your business? Without knowing what you want, you aren’t likely to get it. Get clear, get focused, and map your strategy. Know which networks will yield the best results for your unique goals and plan to invest the time and effort to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment